For many years large numbers of people were employed in work associated with the canal and the river and even more employment was generated with the expansion of the Keadby Junction together with the loco yard and associated cattle pens in the 19th century. There was competition between the canal and railway networks but there were opportunities for expansion for both at a time when farm produce, coal, steel and later petroleum products were transported by water and rail. In addition passenger services were provided, sharing the accommodation with all manner of merchandise ranging from livestock to groceries, provisions and stationery products. Keadby Bridge (King George V Bridge) opened in 1916. Work commenced on the original Keadby Power station in January 1948 and was officially opened on April 1st, 1952. During the peak of building activity 1200 men were employed. On completion 323 men were employed to operate the station, half of whom lived in the houses specially built for the work force in Keadby. This project was short lived and closed in the early 1970's when Drax Power Station was completed in Yorkshire. The present gas fired power station was commissioned in 1996.